St Luke’s Tittensor
St.Luke’s is a traditional style church built by the Duke of Sutherland and designed by one of his estate architects. It retains its original wooden pews although part of the front of the nave has been opened up with staging for special activities such as drama, interviews and dance. There is seating for 120 people. The church was consecrated in 1882 and is built of brick and stone. An adjacent church hall was added in 1969 and has recently been altered to include access and toilet facilities for the disabled. The church building is looked after by an active church fabric committee and is in good repair. The church tower has been recently renovated and houses a peal of 6 bells. These are played on a carillon by one person and are rung for every service. The churchyard is open, well maintained, and has a special area laid aside for the interment of cremated remains. There are ?? on the electoral roll.
Tittensor is a village of about 1200 people. It was originally mentioned in the Domesday Book but became part of the Trentham Estate of the Duke of Sutherland in the nineteenth century. The village was enlarged in the 1960’s by a private estate and in the past year by a new development on the site of an old maternity hospital. It is well served by a regular bus service to Stoke-on-Trent and to Stafford. In the village there is a Public House, a village shop and post office, a village hall, a transport company, a car sales garage, a wine shop and an Indian restaurant. A converted private house in the village is home to a small community of adults with learning difficulties some of whom attend the church regularly. There is a C-of-E (Controlled) primary school which has close links with the Church and 2 church members serve on the board of governors. There are about 50 children in the school at present, some coming from outside the village. There is a branch of the WI in the village as well as a Parents and Toddlers group. The village has a bowling green with an active club and also has a well supported Gardening Guild that hosts its own show each summer.